Why do I get coerced into riding on days like today?? It was wet, cold and sometimes dangerous as I just wondered when someone in a car would do something stupid and crash into us. You know the days when it's still snowy on the shoulders, or the plow hasn't cleared all of the lanes, I'm just waiting for something bad to happen.
The email blast went out today and people remarked that they would be coming out for the ride. I was going to pass, however everyone pretty much egged each other on. So, here I go, riding on the snowy sidewalk to avoid a car barreling down the road trying to avoid the snow and parked cars. The roads in my neighborhood were just slightly damp and I thought, good, it may be a fairly dry ride. Well into the ride, some areas had flowing water on the road about one to three inches deep. Much of the time I was trying to avoid the rooster-tail of the rider in front. In the beginning I stayed in front to so that I wouldn't have to deal with the spray, however you can only last so long up there. All I could think about was how salty the spray was as I was getting grit and salty water in my mouth. I think 3/4 of the way through the ride, my feet started to get the burning sensation. My feet were probably a bit wet and I think they were past being cold. Why, oh why do I continue to ride in the wet? Stupidity. I had to take apart the bike again to clean everything this evening. And, yep, my headset is starting to grind with the pressure soaked embedded dirt from the wet rides. I wonder what everyone else does after a wet ride?
I clean my chain, chain rings, cassette, drain the bike, take fork out, take the seat post out, clean and wipe down everything. Basically, I'm building the bike from scratch again. Sometimes I get water in the wheels too, so I'll have to take the tires off and allow the rims to dry. What a pain.
As far as my training went today, it was actually good. I was able to stay with the group and take some decent pulls. The pace started out relatively tame in the beginning then in the middle it cranked up. I also did a light leg and core workout this morning and I think my body is finally starting to get used to the weight workout as it didn't affect my riding later today. Last night we had my wife's high school reunion gathering at our house. Fortunately or unfortunately, because of the weather only 5 people showed up. We had a good time and I enjoyed several glasses of Cabernet. It also didn't affect my riding today, either.
The bad things today:
I had to clean the bike.
My toes were so cold after the ride as they were wet.
I can still taste the salt and feel the grit stuck in my teeth/gums.
My components are going to die sooner than later.
However, any day on the bike with friends is better than not riding at all or riding on the rollers.
Keep my old rule... don't ride in the wet. Don't coerce me into going either!
Oh, yes... update on Mark Sommers: I heard that he had a neck operation in which they took out a disk in his neck and fused a couple of vertebrae. I had a friend who had this operation years ago because he continue to have a pinched nerve in his neck which affected his ability to move his arm. I believe Mark had the same operation as he apparently had issues with mobility in his arm as well. The surgery is performed through the front of the neck bypassing your throat and then going to the vertebrae. A description is located here about the Anterior Cervical Fusion. Anyway, I hear the surgery was a success and hopefully Mark will be recovering quickly. Best wishes to Mark.
The weekend: Well, it's full of hockey games, children's birthday parties. And of course no rides.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
glad you came out yesterday. I thought the ride was a good one. I stayed in my small ring except for coming down Anglers, and along ClaraBarton. Legs felt really good.
The wet roads sucked, but we'll be stronger as a result of riding.
I usually just wipe my bike down really well after riding in the rain. I've never really taken the headset apart to dry it out, but maybe I'll do that after today's ride.
Plan on doing intervals on Anglers, GFPark, Mnt Gate and probably Brickyard.
Post a Comment