Photo Courtesy of Kevin Dillard, Velophotos.net

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Must be nice being young.

The Junior does it again. Nick Bax came out for the hill ride yesterday, so I knew it was going to be hammer time. What I didn't know is that Ad would be a shadow to Nick. What gives? How can a 50+ rider keep up with his nationally ranked son? Of course, I got dropped again.

Well, now that my racing age is in the mid-40's, I can now realize that I will probably no longer have the same athletic abilities as I did when I was in my teens or even in the twenties. The recovery times definitely are much longer and I have a lot more aches and pain these days.
I guess it's nice being young, thought if I were to do it all over again... I'd love to have my knowledge and experience with my youth. Wouldn't we all . :D

I spoke to Mike at the shop yesterday and the good thing is that we're not switching kit colors. So, no new investments in clothing, except to replace what needs to be trashed. I kind of like the red, black and white look. It's eye catching. This will hopefully leave me some extra cash this year to invest in other biking accessories like a power meter (see Nick's blog) or if I hear back from Polar about my broken CS200 CAD on whether I have to buy a new one or pay for the repair.

What else do I need?

1) Possibly new Shimano Shoes. (SH-R300 or SH-R210), I've always loved Shimano Shoes and their stiffness in the carbon sole. My SH-R210's are now 3 years old and are starting to show their wear.

2) New Bike!! This is a long shot. :(

3) Maybe this is the year I break down and try bibs...instead of shorts.

4) New helmet. My Giro Pneumo is getting a bit old and smelly. I was wondering about the smells I was experience and figured it was coming from the helmet. The best way to get rid of the smells?? Scrubbing it with sponge and spraying with LYSOL works wonders! I learned this from cleaning my son's hockey helmet and other items. By the way, if anyone knows where to get replacement pads for the Giro Pneumno, let me know.

5) New fluid trainer? I don't ride indoors much, as my rollers are too damn loud. (for the days like today... snowy or rainy.)

6) Oh, yeah, I need to buy some more tubulars (Conti Competitions-expensive things!!) and a some Michelin Pro Race2's clinchers and tubes.

We'll that's my wish list so far... too bad Christmas isn't coming up soon.




No comments: