Yesterday, I was told by a friend about several auto-bicycle accidents. Fellow racer, Mark Sommers of DC Velo, was injured in an accident in Florida. Apparently he got pretty banged up, with broken bones (back or neck?) and was in the hospital for the past week. Joe Baremore of DC Velo also got in an accident and apparently trashed his bike, though physically, he apparently is okay.
This is a reminder to me that accidents can happen and do. Thank God, I haven't been in an auto accident with a car in a long time. I got run into a curb when I first started racing. (about 18 years ago). My brand new Shimano 600/Ambrosia wheels were trashed and luckily, everything else was okay and I rolled into the green space between the curb and sidewalk. The lady who hit me continued to drive away. In those days a new set of Shimano 600/Mavic MA40's wheelset cost me another $50-80 bucks at max. (I don't remember now). Now it would cost me over 500 bucks to get a replacement set. If I had to replace my carbon wheelsets... well, it would be in the range of $1,500-$2,000. Anyway, bikes can be replaced, your body is different. It will take months or years or even can end your racing hobby if you are severely injured. I don't know what Mark's going through, however I wish him well and hope that he heals quickly. I've always been impressed with his power. In a recent conversation with him, I also found out that he had a hip replacement previously. That impressed me even more that he's at such a high level of performance and overcoming his hip replacement.
Other health issues which I recently heard about can sideline you like back problems, saddle sores, or the dreaded Pudendal nerve entrapment (PNE). Hopefully my fellow racers will be able to get back on and ride again soon. Bottom line, take a break if you need to, listen to your body. Racing will still be there when you are able to get back into it.
Ride safely.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment