Photo Courtesy of Kevin Dillard, Velophotos.net

Friday, March 13, 2009

Paris-Nice: Contador redeems himself.

I just finished watching the live coverage of Paris-Nice Stage 6 Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux - La Montagne de Lure.

I have to say Team Astana did its part today and helped Contador win today and gain enough time over Silvain Chavanel to take the leader's jersey. I think this is all over.
I have to give credit today to Jens Voigt for his early attack. He's a machine! Contador, however just rode away from the rest of them including Fränk Schleck. His tempo was tremendous and no one could keep up. This reminded me of the days of Lance Armstrong attacking up Mt. Ventoux and no one could match him. I don't think Lance can have a chance of of beating Contador if it was up hill climbing. Contador, though an amazing climber, still doesn't have the maturity/experience to control the peleton as Lance did. Having Lance ride for him will ensure that he wins again, however the question is will Lance really ride for him? The day before was proof that Contador couldn't control the situation as the Rabobank team did an incredible attack and Contador was nowhere insight and couldn't react. Team Astana didn't support their leader in any way that day.

I have to say I have not followed Paris-Nice in the past, however with streaming video, it's become much more exciting. I don't know if it always has been this exciting, however, technology has made it more accessible for all of us.

Now, it's up to Team Astana to lose this for Alberto. I don't think that's possible, however you never know.

3 comments:

RayMan AKA StingRay said...

Talk about team work. You should watch Stage 3 (or maybe 4), when RoboBank put their entire team on the front and drilled it for about 20 minutes into a severe cross wind. The peleton was shredded in about 4 or 5 groups.

Sigberto Garcia said...

You gotta love the anger in his face on the picture of him crossing the line (shooting his trademark gun).

Other than that - some kudos to Tyler Farrar today, for beating some of the best sprinters in Tirreno-Adriatico.

http://www.velonews.com/article/89207/farrar-outkicks-cav--at-tirreno-adriatico

hfang said...

Rayman,

I did view the Rabobank attack, it was very impressive as they basically dropped everyone. It was a nice attack unfortunately for them, they didn't win the stage.