I've used many different tapes for my handlebars. I really don't think it matters much which ones you choose, however over the past couple of years I've stuck with Bontrager tape as it was what my local bike shop carried. I've used Deda tape, Cinelli cork tape, and others.. one in paticular, which I can't remember the name was pretty stretchy and had a good grip. I don't think they are even in business anymore, however it was one of the first non cork tape and had some nice print designs on it.
Well... now about Bontrager tape. http://bontrager.com/model/00075/en. Once you have it wrapped on your bars it feels like a baby's bottom. Nice and soft. It has gel in it to suck up alot of the road vibrations. Because of the gel it tends to be a bit thicker and soft. One drawback on the tape I find is that it tends to slip as the adhesive on the back doesn't work very well. This deficiency, however allows you to remove it easily (especially if you screw up on wrapping it).
The best thing about the Bontrager bar tape is not actually the tape, it's the bar ends plugs. These things just stay in and don't fall out like all of the other handle bar plugs.
As far as wear, I've had my tape on for about a year, even through a crash, it survived with a few holes and of course electrical tape works well on it. I use a bit of the tubular glue on the end of the tape so that I don't have to worry about it slipping and unwinding as the bontrager plastic tape it comes with tends to unravel after a while.
As far as colors, it comes in many which should be able to match your bike colors well. I know how many of you love to make your bikes match :).
The tape is typically less than $16 bucks at your local bike shop.
BTW.. For those who don't know how to wrap the tape: You start at the bar ends and work your way towards the stem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
yeah the bontrager stuff does work well...it is a good idea to start in the right direction ..the plugs are better ive noticed.many messengers use old inner tubes as wrap but that makes your hands all black after a day...maybe helps embody the look of a true hardcore messenger though. :)
Post a Comment