Photo Courtesy of Kevin Dillard, Velophotos.net

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Off Season

Well it's the off season for me and I am still riding. Once a week with over 20 miles a day, and about 2-3 times a day I ride to work and back (9 miles each way).

Last weekend I actually rode both days! Kids and wife out of town for semester break. I really have to do more than the 20 miles on a ride. The 40-60 mile rides I did over the weekend seemed to tap me out pretty well. I took a nap each day to recover. My legs were definitely tired as I cramped up a few times switching positions on the couch.

Well, I finally got fed up with fooling around with my positioning and got a professional bike fit with BJ Basham. He's been recommended to me by several guys I respect. I drove to BJ's place after work on Monday. Fighting through traffic on I-66 I finally arrived. BJ performed all of the measurements based upon the wobble naught system. He was very patient in explaining every measurement to me as well as how it would affect my comfort and power. BJ took a quick look at me on the trainer and remarked that I should raise my seatpost a bit more. I was a bit surprised as when I switched shoes and pedals, I was lowered down on the seatpost about 1 1/2 inch with my cleats moved all the way back. Well, after finally moving it to the point where Wobble Naught's system said I should be, I viewed my marker mark about the same exact point. This mark was put on in the Spring after I had to adjust my seatpost after draining the bike after a wet ride. Wow, I was really close before, however the cleat on the shoe was in a different place. My seat position also was moved backwards as far as it could go as I have a zero set back Thompson post. I still should move my seat back another centermeter. BJ also said that I should probably use a slightly shorter stem as well. I've used 130cm before, switched to a 120cm and now.. I should be using a 110 cm stem. I will need to find a new seatpost with more of a setback and a shorter stem.
I rode today and because I've been getting used to the other position I had been in after a couple of weeks of fiddling with the position, I definitely felt a weak point in my pedal stroke as my muscles probably lack the power from the previous position. I am hoping that this fit will provide me more consistent power and it may also help with the cramping I had had in my quads.

Anyway, only time can tell and I do think I'm in a better position now (kind of like when I was in the spring and of course I was performing decently).

If you are not feeling a smooth powerful pedal stroke or are uncomfortable on the bike, then you probably should get a bike fit. BJ also gave me some tips on pedal stroke and back positioning for a flatter and more powerful position. I think I ride in that position for the most part, however because the fit was different before, I may have started building a bad habbit, which I need now to break.

Time will tell... Now if I can continue to get some long miles in this winter, I should be in a good position to perform well this next year.

2 comments:

Chuck Hutcheson said...

Having your bike fit is a prerequisite! Write down your measurements and practice measuring your points (especially your saddle height/ front and back) so that you are pretty confident where they go when you change stuff out. I'm not a coach, but I know that form and having a bike that fits goes a long way even when I am out of shape. Good for you for getting you bike properly fit, now go out and live up to your cool name!

hfang said...

I measured my positioning and marked it before. However since my change in shoes and pedals, I couldn't find a good position, so I went in to the shop to get refitted, and found out that I had to lower my seat and push it forward and move my cleats all the way back. It didn't seem to work all that well, so I made some small adjustments to see if it would make a difference. It did for a small bit of time, then again I didn't feel optimal, so more changes week after week. Finally I got fed up and got the professional bike fit. Little did I know it was very close to my original position before my change on my pedals and shoes.
Bottom line...once it works, don't change it...Maybe I'll live up to my cool name one of these days.