Of course, I screwed up by not registering in time the past week. I had arrived home and was called to dinner, only to remember right after dinner that I had forgotten to register. It was already 8:30pm. Oh well. Tough luck. Good excuse anyway as it looked like there might be rain on Sunday for the TT and Crit. The other reason was that I don't own a TT bike. I can't justify just racing twice a year to buy a TT bike. It used to be okay when I could just put on the clip on Scott rake bars... then came the Disc wheels, which my 30 second man would pass me making that awful racket with their carbon wheels. Now, to be competitive in a 40KM TT, you've got to be totally tricked out with your streamlined frame, disc rear wheel, Special TT bars, the TT helmet and of course you have to have the skin suit.. Not just the skin suit, however the full body low air resistant suit. Each little customization which cost lots of money will allow you to slash several seconds off of your time. However there's nothing like pure endurance and power. Well, I didn't have the chance to even try. I was closed out of the registration.
Saturday, I entered the Masters 40+ race, and for the most part it was fairly tame, not too many attacks, I felt relatively good, though with 3 laps to go, each climb was beginning to get harder and my legs were feeling like jelly a few times. I conserved my energy as it didn't seem anyone was strong enough to get away. Pete Lindeman and Andreas Gutzeit did get a small lead on the rest of the pack on last stretch. As I knew that the first hill was a false finish, I let others lead me out and on the final hill, I did the sprint to try to catch Andreas and Pete, they seemed to have a good clip and I was gaining, however not fast enough. I caught Pete as he faltered the last 20 yards, however Andreas kept his pace through to the finish. I finished 2nd, with my legs cramping up and Chris coming up strong on my left. It was a good race.
I went home and made sure I ate enough to replenish my energy, I stayed up late, and didn't know why.I woke up early at about 5:30 AM, just trying to hear the raindrops on the roof. Well, it wasn't there anymore. It was already bright outside, so I decided to get ready for the Williamsport crit. I arrived with plenty of time, had a few doughnuts (yep, Krispy Kreme, my favorite!), and Clif bars with my coffee. I warmed up riding with the CAT123 riders. Then watched them take off. It was pretty incredible the speeds they were holding and guys tongues were dragging on the ground.
The 40+ race was next and I started off with a brisk pace, jumping to the front and leading the pack around a couple of times. I was just testing the competition. We all settled in and for the most of the time it was fairly smooth. The final lap was going to be fast. Andreas, the GC leader unfortunately slid out on the final turn, and made hamburger out of his leg. Bill Luecke was ahead of me and went wide as Andreas was still sliding on the ground. He jumped the curb into the gravel lane and I had to follow as my wheel was the outside. We were passed by several riders in the crash. I jumped back on to the road and did my best to sprint to catch the riders who passed me. I caught a few however the accident was enough to cause enough delay so that I was not a factor in final sprint. I took 4th. Oh well, such is racing.

Here's a photo of Andreas. (Photo Credit: Phil Young, Kevin's dad)
I was not so tired so that I later entered the CAT 3 race as well. My goal was to protect my fellow teammate who was 2nd in the GC category. I stayed up in the top 10 positions for the most part of the race. With 4 laps to go, I felt my front wheel getting soft. I made a decision to drop out.. well that sucked. No more free lap, so I walked my bike back to watch the final few laps. My teammate Kevin Young, a junior, took 2nd missing the crash from rider in front of him. He's definitely getting smarter and stronger. The final GC results were finally posted and Kevin received the top position.
Anyway, I had a great time watching the race.

No comments:
Post a Comment