Here's the latest update and it's not encouraging...that is for me.
CSC... Got dropped by the 3rd group with 3 laps to go. Well, really it was the third group which got lapped by the lead group. So I solo'd it for the last 3 laps just to come in on the sprint of the 2nd group.
I have to say it was a nice challenging technical course. I loved it, but my crit legs are not here this year as I've been doing more riding up and down hills than speed work, not to say I've been riding much at all. For the CSC race I rode about 4 times in 4 weeks. Pretty pittiful if you ask me.
Today, it was the Wilmington Classic (Age Graded Championships). Well, the number of registered riders was pretty low, however the high caliber of racers were all there. The 50+ race, before our 40+ race, apparently had a bad crash by one rider who lost it on the downhill turn to the backstretch. He was carted away by the ambulance. No word on his well being yet, from what I heard it was an awful crash. The 40+ race finally got started a slight bit delayed from the announced time. Right from the start it was fast. I thought that if I was somewhere in the top 5 spots, I would have had a good race. The pace was blistering right from the start. Then after the 3rd lap Ramon moves from behind to right up front shattering the pace and causing havoc in the pack. It was streamlined out on the back stretch, I fell back to around 15th position up the short hill right after the start/finish. Then boom, the pack starts to fall apart. Gaps started occuring everywhere. I was screwed. I chased down one gap, then another, passing racers who apparently couldn't hold up the pace. Well... it was too much for one rider and he left too much of a gap, I saw the guy in front of me trying to close the gap but couldn't, so I passed him and tried, only to see another gap start further ahead, that was it. Pete Lindeman had been gapped as well, I think by the same guy who gapped me. I caught on to Pete and tried to work with him to stay within eyesight of the lead pack. For 4 laps, we took turns, pulling, however I was seeing that the chase was not going to work. I was also starting to blow up. We went around a few more times and Pete dragged me around, I'm just not in shape for these crits anymore. We were pulled by the ref. We had probably another 10 laps to go. I guess they saw the pain in my face and decided to end it. What a waste! Well I could only blame myself. My spidey sense wasn't working and my body is even worse and can't react quickly anymore. I was tentative on the bottom turn as I was waiting for me to crash. Luckily I didn't. Well, as usual Ramon won. His break worked well and they hammered away.
I guess there is a bright light in my life, eventhough I missed last weekend's race at Ride Sally Ride. I missed the event because of my son's soccer game then he had a fencing tournament to go to. Wow! I had never seen him practice before and now he was in a tournament. He only started about 3 months ago in his training. He must have sparred in about 8 bouts before the elimination round. This went on for about two hours. Some of the duels were very graceful others were very brutish and disjointed. The duel between last season's 11 and under champion (a girl) and my son was intense. They became the only two sparring in the center without any other duels happening. All eyes were on them. Back and forth, foils clashing against each other, however neither of them could get a point for a good 3 minutes or so. Then it was both of them at once. It almost seemed like a dance as each pressured eachother forwards/backwards, foils chashing but not getting their target. They each won a round then the final round happened, it apparently was very even, and I was sitting across the area getting a great vantage point, however not being able to see the score. They apparently were very close and it finally ended. I thought my son lost, so my wife went to the coach/official to see what happens next, since we thought he lost. He said that my son had won!! All of the parents came over to congratulate him. He had beaten the winner from last time. What a feat! Well, on to the next duel. They gave him a 5 minute break to refresh. He was battling the guy. It was again close, howevever this guy was apparently 12 years old and probably a good 12 inches taller than my son. Even with that difference my son had him beat on the first round. Then back and forth on the second and the other kid had won by a point, then the final round. My son gave a good effort and lost that round by 5-3. He was dejected. We all came around for support and even the coach said he was really going to go far and that we had to be prepared for all of the travelling he might have to do. The last round was the guy who beat my son against another 12 year boy. He beat him easily and won all three rounds. I told my son that he lost to the best before the final round, so luck didn't go his way as he had an unfortunate pick. My son went away with a bronze medal. Not bad for just starting fencing a few months ago. The sport is intense, fun, very artistic, and beautiful to watch. I wish I had the chance to experience that when I was young. It's a really unique sport, with lots of head games, strategy, training and talent.
So even though I haven't had the time to train or race, this experience was breathtaking. You just have to live through your children sometimes. :)
As far as me... well... I just have to train harder, smarter and better. 2 days a week this last week for me just isn't enough. I did the hot hill ride in Arlington at a very low easy pace, and a Hains point ride as well. I don't have the time to do a goon ride, which would be very beneficial, however during the summer (while the wife adn kids are away, I might find some more time.) Then I can think about peaking. You never know though, I'll be breaking it up with a week long vacation in the beginning of August.
Life is good, it just depends on how you look at it.
By the way.. For all of you Father's out there, Happy Father's Day. Hope you enjoyed it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment