Photo Courtesy of Kevin Dillard, Velophotos.net

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tyson's Corner Circuit Race

I went to bed on Friday night smiling, knowing that I wouldn't be going to race in the rain at Walkersville as I've been checking Weather.com for the past week, plus, I had been closed out of the registration.   

I woke up on Saturday morning, feeling refreshed, and low and behold, the sky was clear and a beautiful blue color.  Well, to say the least, I was a bit pissed.  I didn't get up early enough for the 7:00am ride, if there even was one.  I checked weather.com and it apparently said that Sunday would be the rainy day now.  I wish these weather people would get it right!  Well, I enjoyed the day with my kids in the park.   I think I threw out my arm a bit, pitching to my son. 

Sunday, I woke up to the pitter patter of rain.  Oh, great another race in the rain.  I obviously didn't get enough riding in the wet this year.   I arrived at Tyson's, parked the car under the garage and waited till the start of the 40+ race.    The race started off fairly brisk, and I have to say, I was pretty pleased with everyone's riding skills.  No one was cutting anyone off, everyone was smooth into the corners and there was not alot of slamming on the brakes.  You have to love the masters races :).   Ramon attacked fairly early,  I went on a flyer immediately after that lap, however no one else went with me.  So, I eased off after a lap and let the pack catch me.  Everyone seemed to be in a rythym.  Unfortunately, when I was recovering, Ramon and another rider rode off the front and I didn't get to react.  No one in the pack made an effort to chase the two riders down.  The last couple of laps picked up steam and I made an effort to move from the back towards the front.  I moved forward to somewhere around 15-20th spot, and then after the final turn,  I kicked it in to high gear and sprinted, passing everyone except one other rider and got 4th place.  The last 20 meters burned and I could only muster a lack luster finish, I was waiting for a few to pass me, however luckily they didn't. 

Well there's something to be said for racing in the rain.  Apparently, I do okay at it, however I hate it.  I undress quickly and unfortunately I didn't bring a jacket. I was freezing after race and had to drink a couple of cups of coffee to try to warm up.  That didn't work.   I watched the CAT 4 race then went on home.  

Well, my son recently received an invitation to tryout for the Maryland AAA Hockey team.  This will mean that I might not have to have as much time in the spring as I had originally thought. My wife will have to cut the spring break vacation short and put my son on a flight back home so I can shuttle him to the practices.  I think this is a great opportunity for him to improve his skills, however I am not looking forward to it, should he be accepted on the team.  It's a real comittment for the parents as well as the child.   

Next race???  Poolesville or Ft. Ritchie??  I don't know.. I'll have to get the approval from the family, if there are no soccer games at the same time, which I am pretty sure there are.  Or I might get closed out of Poolesville before I know. 

By the way... Thank you to NCVC on continuing to promote a great race.  It ran very smoothly, even with the rain.  Thanks to all of the officials, police, ambulance personnel, road guards, registration staff, promoters, local government, and others who make this event a safe and fun event year after year. 

No comments: