Photo Courtesy of Kevin Dillard, Velophotos.net

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

change of schedule.

Well, my life is now turned upside down since I now work from an office in Arlington.  No more noon rides and the commute is challenging.  Riding into work seems to be decently safe, riding over Chain Bridge, while passing all of the cars sitting in traffic.  However, in the evenings, the speed is much higher and I don't have lights, except for one small red blinking light. So, to say the least it's been a bit dangerous.  I decided not to ride until I get some more lights.  To say the least, my training has been pretty much once a week.  I rode to work one day with my backpack loaded down with my laptop and other stuff.  It seemed that I weighed additional 15 lbs.   This past Saturday, I was lucky enough to get about an hour in the afternoon to ride the Goon ride.  It was windy as hell, and I did a good amount of pulling in front of Phil and Ira.  Luckily they were there to pick up the slack when I was depleted and allowed me to recover.  

Today, I tried to get out with the NCVC ride in Arlington from the Italian store, however I got out too late and only found Jim with DCVelo coming back from the ride.  The others were apparently behind him as he said the "geezers" go out about 5 minutes ahead.   Maybe next week I'll make it. 

Anyway, I have to find a better way to ride, I'll also have to leave everything plus a change of clothes at work, so I don't carry 15 lbs each way, though it may be good for me. :)

2 comments:

Frogman said...

Harry, I changed jobs so I could be closer to the good riding. That said, I've made it to one (1)Noon Ride and even then couldn't catch up to Randy's guys.
I commute on my Steel Wheeler with lights and fender and frame pump and leave my lock at work. It weighs 36 lbs. When I get on the Trek it's like riding on air.
Good luck with the new job and hope to see you on the (MD) road!

RayMan AKA StingRay said...

Harry
We miss ya on the ride. But your famous now, because we always say "who's going to pull a Harry?", and sprint up the last section of Goldsboro.