Photo Courtesy of Kevin Dillard, Velophotos.net

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

End of the Hockey Season.

Finally, the hockey season is over for my children.  So, I may have time to ride on the weekends now.  Maybe... or maybe not. Soccer season is starting, however only one of my kids is on a soccer team.  

Well, I'll miss the hockey games.  Cheering on my children was a blast.  We travelled up to Wilmington, DE/Philadelphia, PA for a tournament and our kids' teams actually performed better than expected.  They both ended up 2nd in the tournament and the final game was very close for my daughter's mite team.  The children were pretty depressed losing the last game, however received a trophy for their effort, and the team received a large trophy.  Kind of a surprise for getting 2nd place. 

 Well, my riding has been almost non existence.  I haven't had the time to commute as I'm working very late and don't have lights.   Riding during lunch time is also out of the question as of many of the days, I have meetings scheduled.  

It's great to see that Ray has won the CAT4 race at UMD.  Who would have known he could win a sprint, however during our Thrasher rides, he's been able to power it out on the final sprint by going hard for a long distance so that he tires the sprinters out.. namely me.  :) .   Now that he's won a race it will be much harder as people will key off of his moves.  He'll have to mix it up a bit more and take more chances.  The good thing is that there are a few who probably have the strength to keep up with him, so the CAT4 races may become more like the CAT3 races.   Any way good luck, Ray. See you out there soon at a 40+ race. 

2 comments:

RayMan AKA StingRay said...

Thanks for the props. All those hard rides are paying off. We'll see how the rest of the year goes.

I'm just looking at my power profile from the race and I definitely crushed the last 1:10 secs of the race. Can't say my sprint was spectacular, but I was just able to get a really good jump on everyone and had enough of a lead to win.

Looking at the data, I'll make two observations: 1) in the final sprint I was accelerating on the final straight away to the finish line, although not at speeds that would beat a sprinter head to head, and 2) my top sprint speed was higher than the speeds I hit when I attacked with 8 to go. 32 MPH sprints are not going to win many races, but well timed jumps can catch folks off guard.

Hope to see you on the road soon.

Frogman said...

Harry,
Pack up the skates and come out for a ride! Even I made it to last Friday's Noon.5 Thrasher Ride, though not for long - these guys have been training all winter and me, well not so much. But it motivated me to get out there and hammer so that I can better represent BPVC.