Photo Courtesy of Kevin Dillard, Velophotos.net

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Power Meter acquisition.

Well, I did what I said I would never do. I bought a PowerTap because it was a good deal. I recently acquired set of Reynolds SDV66T wheels which came with the Powertap. I was given the Garmin 500 for Christmas so it was an easy decision when it came to the wheels. Now the real challenge starts. I have to learn how to train with a power meter. I'm pretty sure that I can use it improve my strength as I need a tool really to push me when I'm training. It's just too easy to suck wheels or rest between short efforts. This training should enable me to get to another level of racing: the break away attack. In Masters racing, it's all about getting into a break and making it stick. I've been in many breaks, however, it's all too often that the break gets reeled back as people stop working or start attacking each other because they want to whittle the break down. Of course I'm the casualty all too often as they know I'm the strong sprinter and they don't want me there at the end. Many times my fellow racers will hard for a good 15-20 minutes and I will be gassed and drop back, only to get absorbed back in the pack. The point is if I can be strong enough to stick with these guys, or cause the splinter effect then continue on, my chances will be much higher finishing top 3 consistently. So, this year it will be a nice test to see if I can actually improve my endurance and Time trialing abilities. Only time will tell.

No comments: