Photo Courtesy of Kevin Dillard, Velophotos.net

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Page Valley RR Championship HOT!

I decided to go to Page Valley after a discussion with " Hot"Chuck "two speed" Hutcheson on our ride yesterday. He recommended to me that I should just do it and fake it till I couldn't fake it again. I told him that I wasn't thinking about going because it's a very hilly course. Last year it was very hot as well and I cramped up after the 4th lap and decided to call it quits after the start finish line as I was dropped and had nothing left except for bad cramping and heat exhaustion. I told Chuck that I know my limits and hill climbing is not one traits which I can relate to. He just said smile and fake it and if I do get dropped, just use it as training. Well, it was after the Saturday DC Velo 7:15 morning ride and a spirited ride back in the Rock Creek Park. I guess since I was hanging on during the ride, I decided that I had a chance to finish Page Valley with the pack. NOT!

It was a hot one today, I carried an extra frozen bottle in my jersey pocket. The first lap was a good warm up lap as we rode at an easy pace. The first hill was at accomplished at a good pace, I felt a bit tired after that as I was riding at the pack's pace and not mine. My legs were feeling tired for some reason. I was thinking it was from yesterday. The second lap was much faster and actually rode up the first hill at a brisk steady pace and was surprised that I wasn't hurting. The 2nd hill was more difficult though as the hills were starting to wear on me. 3rd lap, I was starting to think I may make it. The hills started to hurt and I was feeling low on power, however I was still with the pack. Every hill started with myself up within the top 20 riders... by the time I went over the hill I typically dropped back 5 to 10 spots on the first hill. The second hill was the killer as I would be in the top 20 spots then fell back to the back every time. On the 3rd lap, I ended in the back and Jorge of Artemis told me to hop on as we came over the top. Luckily there were a few others behind we all were able to bridge up. The forth lap, was about hanging on, which I found out I couldn't. A Bike Rack guy drilled it by himself to catch a breakaway which looked like it would stay away. Those guys are strong! I was exerting myself pretty good and I was really hoping I could stay with the pack when it came to the climb. Same results, start towards the front and go backwards on the second climb. However this time I had no acceleration in my legs up the 2nd hill and I was dropped finally. I saw Rayman ride around me and continue to bridge to the back of the pack and I couldn't. I finally made it over the top losing about 15 seconds to the pack. I tried to bridge back, however, the pack was going at a good pace and it didn't seem like I was gaining at all. Then the wind hit me and it was all over, they rode away. I rode back by myself with another rider a bit behind me. I waited for him a bit, as he seemed like he was catching me. Unfortunately he didn't come up, so I just pedaled on, finally finishing. The last climb was a killer and I had no power to push the pedals to get up the hill. I smiled at the Jim Wilson taking the picture of me in pain, then gave it a 10 second burst to get over the line.

A few thoughts:
1) Don't let Chuck talk you into something you had decided not to do.

2) I only drank 3 bottles of water, had about 3 gu's, ate about 3/4 of a Cliff Bar, I rode with two frozen bottles of water and one bottle of tonic water. This was the first race which was hot and long and I didn't even feel cramping coming up. I'm wondering if it was the tonic water, the gu mixed with water which I took a couple of swigs twice a lap. My mother told me yesterday to drink tonic water for cramps, as I read recently on one of the blogs that quinine works wonders for cramps. By the way, the insulated,with the foil inside the lining of bottle which I won from Turkey Day race works really well, it stayed cold and for the entire race till it was tapped out on the 5th lap, I think I'll be buying a couple more of them soon.

3) I know my limits... No more Page Valley for me, unless I turn into a climber some how, which is never. Over the past couple of years, I have ridden more hilly rides than ever, thinking I could train myself to survive and finish a very hilly race with the pack and I still can't. I used to avoid road races because of the understanding that eventually I would get dropped. What has happened is that I've now lost my crit racing ability and sprinting and have become a very mediocre road racer. Guess, I'll have to switch back again to focus on the crits and circuit races. (flat ones are best for me).

4) I didn't feel too exhausted this evening and recovery (heart/lungs) for me during the race was fairly quick, so I'm obviously getting back into my prime, however there aren't many races anywhere to prove to myself I'm back. Oh well... next year maybe... or retirement.

By the way... hot... yes, the weather was, however watching the finish of "hot" Chuck Hutcheson was pretty amusing. Chuck powered his pedal and clipped out, almost looking like he was going to crash, however he caught himself and reclipped in as Nate Wilson took advantage and kept moving. Chuck recouped and went after Nate and passed him several feet before the finish. Unbelievable! Chuck was just a cool character! Doing what he had to do to win. Congrats Chuck and Congrats Nate as well! Thanks for making it entertaining!

1 comment:

RayMan AKA StingRay said...

Seriously, Harry, for someone that says they are not a climber, you did really great to hang in to almost the end. I, on the other hand, supposed to be able to climb, freaking was dying in the heat. My HR was between 160 and 180 for over 90 minutes of the race.