Well, someone's trying to punish me. I didn't race Tour of Washington County because I had some family stuff to do on Saturday and Sunday. I blogged about miracle road rash cures.... didn't knock on wood.
On Saturday morning, I found some free time to go out on a bike ride. I joined up on East West Highway when the DCVelo ride was waiting for the light to change on Connecticut Avenue. I u-turned it to get in line at the back of the pack when the light turned. I said hi to another teammate, Kyle, and then pedaled quickly up the hill to turn onto Conneticut Avenue. Then all of a sudden, my front and back wheel just slipped out. It wasn't raining yet! No gravel which I could see on the ground, I thought I was cornering pretty well. Wham! bike sliding out from under me, hitting my left hand and elbow really hard on the ground with my hip. I quickly got up and readjusted my left shifter. Nothing seemed to be broken, however I told Kyle that I would head home and for him to catch up to the other riders. My hand was coated in oil and my butt, and side. Instead of going home, I decided not to go back and wake up my family with a racket, and I needed to ride, so I continued on to chase back. I spoke to several guys in the pack and they said they saw the Metro Bus leaking a whole lot diesel. Well, thanks guys for telling me. A nice contusion and scrape on my elbow, which looked like it was broken, nice road rash on my ass, and a bruised left wrist with a small scrape. The ride actually was a good ride as the usual hammers were not there, more my speed this time and I actually did every hill. It rained the last part of the way home and I got back to wash myself off. I jumped into the shower, smelled like diesel and couldn't get the oil off of my butt, even after several attempts with soap. The same was true when I washed my ripped bibs and shirt in the washer. Oh well, I'll smell like diesel for the next couple of weeks.
Well, I followed my treatment again, luckily I had some left over Drs. Choice pads. Hopefully in the next couple of days, I'll take the pads off and find out that everything is healed over. Oh yeah, my neck is sore like I got whiplash. It's amazing how even in a fairly slow crash, I probably wasn't going too much over 15 miles an hour, can cause so much destruction.
So much for not crashing this year. Paybacks for not racing? Bad luck for posting about miracle cures for road rash? Who knows. Bad luck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
shit Harry, sorry to hear about the crash.
What is it with NCVC and crashing?
NCVC - National Capital Velo Crashers.
No idea why everyone is crashing these days.
please don't talk about the crashing crap.
Post a Comment