What a tough course! Of course it didn't help that I rode hard on Saturday as well.
I was expecting more of a rolling course than one with two tough climbs.
Saturday, I decided to go out an do the 7 am DC Velo ride. We climbed Mass Ave. with a decent pace, and the pace on MacArthur and Clara Barton didn't seem too taxing. So, I decided it would be a good spin. I purposely didn't take many pulls on the front. We reached Anglers Inn, and the climb started out steadily, then faster. I was feeling really good and noticed that my heart rate was fairly low and if it did spike it dropped down quickly. I reached the top of Anglers with about 5 guys. You know the usual 50+ suspects (Ad Bax, Paul Middlestat). We descended down Great Falls and started back up. Paul seemed to be kicking up the pace constantly. I don't remember who he was chasing, however we were going pretty hard. Back down to Brickyard Road then up the steep hill. Wow.. I was not suffering a bit. Usually at Brickyard, I'm lagging, but on Saturday, I was going strong, only one back from the rider in front. We got back up to River Road and no one was waiting for us, so we all hammered to catch the other guys. We caught a group and passed them on Oaklyn, I rotated through several pulls up the hills and we met up with a faster group at the intersection at River Road. From then it was a fast pace through Potomac and then the final sprint on Democracy. Aziz gave the signal to follow him as he would try to lead me out. James Palo started the first leg, then Aziz, who got caught up in a bit of traffic, then I did my sprint. It felt good. I motored on home to recover after the ride. My legs were feeling good.
I relaxed watching some of the Olympic re-runs, then decided that I should do some house work before the family came home from their vacation. I was on my feet for most of the day. I had a late lunch because of the delay in my father in-law's schedule...We had a nice lunch in Bethesda. It was more like an early dinner as it was about 4 pm. I wasn't too hungry later that evening, however made some pasta at about 9pm, I watched more Olympic coverage til about 1am then went to bed. Oh yea, during the evening, I finally decided to change my chain, as it had been shifting a bit funky. You know you're never supposed to do things like that. I cleaned the cassettes and it didn't shift too well so I put some lube on the cassette and went out for a test ride. Well, it worked decently so I didn't decide to make anymore changes, except to clean the bike. It had definitely been some time since the last cleaning.
As you can see, these are not good habits to follow.
I awoke at 6:15 am, feeling a bit tired still. got packed and ready to go. I made my coffee and had a bowl of cereal. On my way. It was a very nice scenic drive for me and I left with plenty of time to spare. Of course, I passed the turn off of 340 and headed into Stanley, where I went to the gas station to fill up the car. I proceeded down the road looking for the sign, however never saw it. I kept going till I saw the next town and knew I drove too far and backtracked. Luckily I saw another cyclist heading towards the race so I just followed him till I got there. Still plenty of time and I warmed up a little bit and then the race started.
The first lap was slow and everyone seemed to be having fun chatting. I stayed up with the top 10 slots putting in little effort. We reached the first long hill and I found myself moving towards the second position and the guy in front of me was putting in a good brisk effort, he pulled off then I continued the pace from mid-way to the top. Well, I didn't feel too out of breath and it looked bright for me. Next hill came up soon afterward and that one again, I stayed up in the front several spots, dropping back a slight bit when others who had more power decided to pass me.
Down the first part of the course, the pace really picked up. The first half of the course was the recovery section and pace was decently fast. I was in good position coming back up to the long hill. This time I was swallowed up my the pack deciding to go at a much faster pace as a couple of guys attacked the field. That put the hurt into me and I was feeling that I was putting out about 95-100%. The problem was that I found myself towards the back of the pack up the second climb. Several racers picked up their feed and I was caught behind them trying to pass them to bridge back to the pack. We got back to the leaders on the front side downhill section. Time to recover again. It seemed like the pace was not picking up. Obviously riders were sensing that there were several of us, who might not be recovering as quickly.
Third time around on the hills, attacks kept up. This time, however, the attack happened on the bottom of the rise before the hill got steeper. I decided not to put out too much effort as I didn't want to run out of juice for the next climb. I found myself at the back of the pack as apparently many had already dropped. The starts and hesitations on being in the back caused me to suffer. I made it over the top and I definitely wasn't feeling good. The next climb, I was in the middle towards the back of the pack and again, feed zone attack. I tried to react, however my legs wouldn't give me anything, so I backed off. That's when the rubberband broke. I was gapped enough before reaching the top and my heart rate wasn't subsiding. My head wasn't into it and I let the pack go. A couple of riders passed me on the decent and pretty much sat up. That's when Art Brown (who was racing the 123 event), caught me and passed me. I thought, well if he can keep up his pace then I can possible do it to and catch the pack again. I put my head down and started my time trial after Art. I was averaging over 27.5 mph and gaining on him. Well that was till the hills started approaching, my speed dropped and he went out of my sight. Here comes the hill climbs again. My legs were definitely feeling tired, I felt like I had bonked. So, I just took it easy up the hills, some one had yelled that I was 5 minutes behind. That definitely didn't help. So I dropped it another notch down and slowly pedaled up the last hill to the finish line. Over the hill I just looked for the place I was supposed to turn off and go to the parking lot. I stopped and asked for directions with one road guard and then trudged my way back. Another hilly road race which I didn't finish. Oh well, you have to know your limits.
Lessons taught, but probably not going to ever learn:
Don't ride hard the day before a taxing long race. (you can do a short crit and race another race the next day) So you have to wonder how these guys in the Tour de France do it (day after day).
Don't change your bike parts/positioning the day before the race (though nothing happened to me), however it's always bad luck.
Don't stay up too late before a race.
If you've exerted yourself and you know you have to rest, just rest! Don't do all of these other things on your feet.
Eat appropriately before a race.
Oh yeah.. take a day off of riding and rest. I've been riding to work every day this past week and thought I was going to take Friday or Saturday off. I didn't.
So, Today, I'm resting. :)
I hate DNF's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Good to see you yesterday. That was one tough course. Can't wait to do it next year.
Harry,
haven't you learned anything from reading my blog. I do the same crap you do and garner similar results. I am glad I did not do your race. I was told the pack never got farther that 2-3 minutes ahead of me and I got dropped on the finish hill. In the threes for sure I would have been lapped.
Post a Comment