Photo Courtesy of Kevin Dillard, Velophotos.net

Monday, July 21, 2008

Too many training like me..

Doubling up seems to be the big thing this Bunny Hop or Hunny Bop. Doing it in 95+ degree weather is nuts. Why do we do this? Just because we like to suffer. Does it make you stronger, faster, better? For some... it's just normal and keeps them in shape. For those guys it's just another easy training ride. For guys like me, it's called stupidity.

I arrived about 1/2 an hour before the 123 race and registered for that race as I thought it would be a nice workout and I could gauge my how my fitness has increased. I hadn't been able to finish a pro 123 race this year, well I've only done Reston this year and ran out of gas fairly early on. So, this one would be a good test. Well, I hung in there however there wasn't too much I could do, I couldn't react to any hard attacks, recovery definitely too too long, the heat was definitely getting to me. I was getting chills, my fingers were cramping, I was getting too hot and couldn't cool down. Unfortunately the water in my bottle was hot and didn't do much to cool me, either by drinking or by pouring it over my neck and back. I just wanted to finish upright, which I did. No sprinting for me, I just rolled in through the finish 35th. I was satisfied with my performance and quickly got to the car and drank a half liter of Gatorade quickly. Wanting to cool down quickly I turned on the AC and drove to my office locker room to take a shower. It took about 40 minutes getting there. During the drive, I started to feel my ass tightening up and seizing up. Oh crap, I didn't take time to cool down and spin.
I took a cold shower and cooled down a bit. It felt good, however my ass was in pain.
I tried to stretch out a bit but it didn't work well. I looked at my watch and had to head back to the race. I arrived to loosen up a little bit before the race. I was pretty amazed that my ass was feeling better but a bit sore. Well, I was thinking that the 30/40+ race was going to be lightly attended, however it looked like everyone in the 123's decided to double up. Sh*t another 123 race. Sure enough, it was pretty fast, I even bridged up to a break, however that effort pretty much took everything out of me and I had a hard time recovering. I was breathing really laboriously and feeling like dropping out. I hung for about 5 more laps, then finally with 5 laps to go, my head wasn't into the race so I just pulled up and out. No reason for me to sprint as I don't think I could. With 3 laps to go, I was on the sidelines watching the pack explode. Well, I guess people were feeling just as badly as I did, however they had it in their head to finish and not give up.

Chalk this up as a learning experience. Bunny Hop is always HOT! If you want to give a good effort on placing, then commit to only one race, unless you are just that strong. (or if the weather is much cooler). Bottom line don't train like me.
Where's my massage when I need it??!!

No comments: